In a world focused on profit and gain, charity work is often pushed aside. People are less inclined to volunteer their time or work for less money when they could be climbing the corporate ladder. Although charity work isn’t the most lucrative, it allows people to feel like they are making a difference in the world and creating change. It isn’t the easiest work, but it is rewarding and an opportunity to gain experience.
- A charity is defined as an organization set up to provide help and raise money for those in need. This can also include voluntary service to help others.
Here at tbd*, we searched for some companies located in Germany that give back to the community. This is what we found.
- 14 kilometers - the shortest distance between North Africa and Europe e.V.: Their focus is education of North Africa and providing intercultural exchange in order to foster a greater understanding of the region. They host events in Germany to promote awareness of the region and work with others to support the area.
- A und V e.V.: Their focus is using art to convey culture and politics in order to inform as well as encourage participation from young adults. They have different exhibitions that are proposed by others and they generate a discussion about how to use art to connect with the world.
- Ackermann Gemeinde Diözese: Their focus is promoting a greater understanding of Eastern Europe countries by creating a dialogue between Germany and the Czech Republic about culture, history and politics. They believe that communication between the countries will result in less prejudice and use of harmful stereotypes.
- AEGEE e.V.: Their focus is creating a unified network of students and young adults in order to encourage them to participate in their government and other worldly affairs. They hope to give them an opportunity to shape their government and open the door to other leadership positions.
- Amnesty International: Their focus is the protection of human rights. They work on a global scale to end injustices against humanity.
- Ashoka: Their focus is working with social entrepreneurs to enact change. They want to overcome barriers so that everyone can try to make a positive impact on the world.
- Bread for the World: Their focus is dealing with hunger and poverty. They are a Christian organization that urges people to get involve politcally in order to eliminate world hunger and poverty.
- Care: Their focus is helping provide sustainable ways to deal with poverty. They help during times of emergency and other times to help educate, provide healthcare, fight hunger, deal with poverty and help enact change.
- Doctors Without Borders: Their focus is providing healthcare to those in need. They give medical care to people after natural events, catastrophes, during conflict and in other times of need.
- The DO School: Their focus is education others so that they can solve problems through innovation. They provide people with the skills and knowledge to become a better thinker and doer.
- Fairtrade Deutschland: Their focus is growing sustainable products and supporting small farmers. There are fair working conditions and the products must meet standards.
- Foodwatch: Their focus is providing self and affordable food for everyone. They advocate for transparency in the food administration as well as researching to educate others.
- GBA Ships e.V.: Their focus is encouraging literacy by providing books at a low cost, promoting an intercultural dialogue between the crew and people, and bringing help to the community. The ship travels all across the world, bringing knowledge one book at a time.
- Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ): Their focus is creating change globally. They do this by working with others to find sustainable courses of action to overcome problems.
- Global H2O: Their focus is providing safe sources of water in Northern Uganda. Global H2O digs wells for water and latrines to prevent contamination or disease.
- Greenpeace: Their focus is protecting the environment and conservation. They work globally to draw attention to problems and actively protest against issues.
- Human Rights Watch: Their focus is protecting the human rights of everyone. They try to do this by meeting with governments to change policies and using media to educate others.
- Impact Hub: Their focus is making a better world by creating a network of like-minded people. They provide areas all over that people can use to host events or get together to collaborate.
- Karl Kübel Stiftung: Their focus is on family and children. They work with different areas to create a better life for families and provide education for children.
- Lemonaid: Their focus is providing sustainable and fair trade drinks. All of their drinks are organic and they support local farmers by using their products.
- Malteser: Their focus is helping others by providing aid and resources. They work in areas where natural disasters or violence has occurred.
- More Than Shelters: Their focus is providing shelter for refugees or other displaced people. They try to provide sustainable environments for each person and give them a place of their own.
- NABU: Their focus is protecting the environment through conservation. They have many people looking after areas of diversity in Germany to preserve it.
- "NaturFreunde Deutschlands" Verband für Umweltschutz, sanfter Tourismus, Sport und Kultur, Landesverband Thüringen e.V.: Their focus is the education of youth about the environment, sustainability, politics, participation and working with others. They want to motivate children to mold their own environment and take charge of their lives.
- Terre des Hommes: Their focus is helping children that are poverty stricken. They attempt to deal with the root cause of their poverty in order to give the family a future.
- Unicef: Their focus is protecting the rights of children. They deal with violence, displacement and education among other things.
- World Vision: Their focus is helping others that are poverty stricken or affected by conflict. They provide resources and aid to those that need a helping hand.
- World Wildlife Fund: Their focus is conservation of the environment by dealing with threats to the world. They concentrate on food, climate, fresh water, wildlife, forests and oceans.
These are only a small fraction of all the companies in Germany that help the community. Even if charity work isn’t your thing, consider working for a non-profit or a for-profit that is mission driven. If you can use your time to make a difference, then do so. Any effort is valued, no matter how small.
Are there any charities that you think should be mentioned? Send tbd* a message!
Originally published July 30, 2017