If you're interested in contributing to positive social or environmental change but not quite sure about taking the plunge with your full-time job, volunteering can be a great option. Volunteer opportunities can act as a stepping stone to finding a more permanent position in the area or simply provide you with a way of helping out while also developing your own skills. Plus, if you’re a new arrival in Germany, volunteering is the perfect way to familiarize yourself with the impact sector and to meet new people with similar interests.
Whether you're an expert in a certain field with some hard skills you'd like to use for good or simply keen to give back to your local community in your spare time, there's something in the volunteering world for you.
Doing work for no pay may not always seem like the most inviting option, but there are many benefits to be gained from spending some of your spare time volunteering. You will:
- Strengthen your CV: Showing what causes you are moved enough by to go out and volunteer can help to demonstrate your passion for a topic, adding something beyond your work experience and educational background.
- Build a network: Volunteering can provide you with great opportunities to meet new people from a variety of backgrounds who have similar interests and passions.
- Develop your skills: Many volunteering opportunities offer the chance to improve both hard and soft skills, be they communication, time management, leadership or language skills.
- Make a difference: Last, but certainly not least, by volunteering your spare time you can make a real difference to the lives of people, animals and organizations in need.
We know it can be difficult to find volunteering opportunities which align well with your interests or skill set, especially if you’re new to a city or region and not yet familiar with the local scene. We’re here to help. Below you’ll find some top German organizations who are always keen to hear from enthusiastic prospective volunteers.
- Give Something Back to Berlin
- 180 Degrees Consulting
- Rehab Republic
- Rock your Life
- Viva con Agua
- OUI Share
- Restlos glücklich
- Polis 180
- Über den Tellerrand
- Refugee Law Clinic
- bonding-studenteninitiative e.V.