CDP is a global non-profit that runs the world’s environmental disclosure system for companies, cities, states and regions. Founded in 2000 and working with more than 680 financial institutions with over $130 trillion in assets, CDP pioneered using capital markets and corporate procurement to motivate companies to disclose their environmental impacts, and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Over 14,000 organizations around the world disclosed data through CDP in 2021, including more than 13,000 companies worth over 64% of global market capitalization, and over 1,100 cities, states and regions. Fully TCFD aligned, CDP holds the largest environmental database in the world, and CDP scores are widely used to drive investment and procurement decisions towards a zero carbon, sustainable and resilient economy. CDP is a founding member of the Science Based Targets initiative, We Mean Business Coalition, The Investor Agenda and the Net Zero Asset Managers initiative. Visit or follow us @CDP and on LinkedIn to find out more. cdp.net or follow us @CDP and on LinkedIn to find out more.
Location: Berlin, Germany
Application deadline: Rolling
Earliest starting date: June 1, 2022
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to support CDP Europe’s Legal Team in delivering a first class, cost-effective service to the organisation. The Legal Team plays a pivotal part in CDP’s success. We take pride in our understanding of risk and in finding practical and ethical solutions to legal challenges to enable the organisation to achieve its goals. The focus of team’s work is commercial law, but we encounter a huge variety of issues relating, for example, IP law, data protection, employment and IP law.
About the role: Are you interested in using and developing your legal skills for a good cause in an exciting, international, mission-driven environment?
In this role you will have a proactive approach and constant attention to support the teams as well as the needs and deployment of our organization. You are cooperative, autonomous and straightforward. Your inter-personal skills enable you to communicate with many people at different levels of the organization.
If you want to truly have an impact and make your mark – this is an opportunity for you.
The role includes
- Close cooperation with various international teams and stakeholders in the organisation, including Account Managers and the Legal Teams of other CDP Regions;
- Draft, review and negotiate contractual documents (service contracts, data licenses, NDA’s, LOI’s, etc.);
- Proactive support to the internal stakeholders in finding practical and legally watertight solutions;
- Provide proactive advice on upcoming changes of law;
- Draft documents as may be required by the legal entities under company law;
- Support on the drafting and implementation of internal policies and guidelines;
- Assisting with ad-hoc tasks as required.
The successful candidate should have
- A degree as fully qualified lawyer (Volljurist/in) or as business lawyer (LL.M. or Diplom-Wirtschaftsjurist/In);
- Minimum four years of relevant professional experience. Experience in an NGO/ NPO environment and/ or experience with EU administration are a plus;
- Business fluent in German and English. Good command of French or any other language is a plus;
- Sound knowledge of contract law, including cross-border transactions. Expertise in Intellectual Property & Trademark Law as well as Company Law, GDPR, Subsidy Law and/ or Labour Law are a plus;
- The ability to become quickly acquainted with new legal topics;
- Strong contractual drafting and analytical skills, combined with pragmatism and business sense;
- The ability to translate complex legal or factual matters into plain language;
- The understanding of a Legal Team as a support function to the business;
- Sense of ownership and responsibility as well as willingness to take decisions;
- Excellent communication, networking and presentation skills;
- Open, flexible and team-oriented personality.
What we offer
- Exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic, innovative and highly motivated environment;
- Working with many dedicated and passionate people for a good cause;
- Competitive NGO salary and annual bonus (depending on company results);
- 30 days annual holidays;
- Flexible working hours;
- Monthly contribution to public transport ticket (BVG Monatskarte);
- Modern office at Sony Centre/Potsdamer Platz with free hot and cold beverages.
The successful candidate will work 5 days per week and must be able to work legally in Germany. This Legal Counsel role is based at our office in Berlin, Germany and will work closely with and report to the General Counsel, Europe. The role is limited to 2 years with the aim of long-term cooperation.
Interested? Interested candidates should submit their complete application documents (motivation letter, CV, references/certificates and salary expectations) in English addressed to Sven Holtermann via our recruiting platform.
Before you apply, we’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicant's privacy notice. By submitting your application, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
Please note that we only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates due to the sheer volume of applications. If you do not hear from us within 21 days of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for your understanding.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.