ABOUT TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL
Transparency International is a global movement with one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. With more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, we are leading the fight against corruption to turn this vision into reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking a Legal Coordinator to join the Governance and Legal Team.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Legal Coordinator provides technical legal support to TI-S in the form of legal advice on contracts, data protection, media and employment law, governance and related matters and thereby supports TI’s legal capacity and capability.
Team: Governance and Legal
Reporting Line: Head of Governance and Legal
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years. There is a prospect of extension subject to organisational need continuing, performance proven and funding confirmed and there is interest in a stable and long-term cooperation.
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin, Germany
Job ID: TIS-GLT-LC-112022
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Based in the Governance and Legal Team and reporting to the Head of Governance and Legal, the Legal Coordinator will:
- Coordinate day-to-day legal processes to ensure key internal processes are completed in an efficient and timely manner and recommend changes and adjust as needed
- Respond to internal requests, analysing and providing solutions in a timely manner
- Ensure work deliverables meet quality standards and proactively seek input from relevant internal and/or experts, where necessary; activate pro bono legal assistance as required
- Provide legal advice to TI-S as may be required and ensure that the organisation is in full legal and administrative compliance with German law
- Facilitate the coordination of TI’s lawsuits including the full life cycle of litigation and disputed claim files as well as investigation, evaluation, negotiation, mediation, and litigation
- Assist in the identification of TI’s legal risks incl. review of TI’s advocacy messages and material and key external contracts as well as elements of legal risks in programming
- Develop, implement and maintain system(s) that include workflows, processes, controls and documentation; coordinate the management of TI’s intellectual property including trademarks
- Coordinate and/or contribute to team projects and provide input on the development of strategies, policies and procedures, taking into account best practice
- Facilitate training(s) to ensure awareness and understanding of key legal issues across TI-S and the Movement
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the Governance and Legal team providing proactive and ad hoc support as needed
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- University degree or professional qualification in law obtained in Germany (First and Second State Exams)
- 5+ years of relevant experience with demonstrated in-depth knowledge related to legal affairs or related fields
- Expertise in German law required; anti-corruption, compliance and/or data protection expertise an advantage
- Ability to undertake legal research, use initiative and adopt a highly pragmatic approach
- Strong attention to detail and keen awareness of the need for legal accuracy
- Ability to interact and develop effective relationships with a wide range of internal and external constituencies; strong networking and convening skills
- Experience in knowledge management and capacity development an advantage
- Professional language proficiency in both English and German essential; additional languages an asset
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities and competing demands
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- High level of intercultural competence, diplomacy and political sensitivity
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- a dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- opportunities to learn and grow, including regular Show & Tell meetings and visits by external experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- the possibility of Work from Abroad for periods of time (currently for up to 10 working days at a time for a maximum of 20 working days per calendar year), currently being piloted in an ongoing effort to increase virtualisation of work and foster highly collaborative remote work using MS Teams throughout the organisation
- organisational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas incl. well-being
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application) in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is Tuesday, 22nd of November 2022.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To learn more about Transparency International please visit our website and follow us on social media:
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.