Year Here is a postgraduate course in social innovation based in London. Unlike a traditional Master's degree, Year Here is immersive and action - oriented. Our Fellows try their hand at building creative responses to social problems, supported by industry mentoring and a rigorous social innovation curriculum. Year Here Fellows have collectively volunteered 80,000 hours in frontline services – including homeless shelters, care leavers' services and pupil referral units – and launched 23 new social ventures backed by Nesta, The Observer, Ashoka, UnLtd, Bethnal Green Ventures and the Esmee Fairbairn Foundation.
Year Here seeks a
Communications Manager (part time)
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’ll be the driving force of our recruitment campaigns, using brilliant marketing techniques to reach out to the most promising early career professionals to propel them towards entrepreneurship that genuinely makes a difference. Your work will help us recruit 50 brilliant Fellows per year – drawn from the best of their generation – who are smart, bold, compassionate and driven to make society better in practical, creative and entrepreneurial ways. You’ll work across multiple platforms and mediums to explain who we are, highlight the problems we aim to tackle, celebrate our Fellows’ successes and get stuck in to the big debates of the day. This is an opportunity to become the custodian of a brand with big ambitions to make society fairer for everyone. This is a part - time role (0.6 FTE).
- Generate hundreds of applications through your inventive digital marketing efforts. Design delightful email campaigns, web pages and blog posts to tell the story of what we do and engage our 15,000 strong audience in our mission. You’ll write copy that sings off the page as you explain the programme to prospective applicants.
- Build our social media audience through original, thought-provoking content. You’ll create graphics, images and copy for our social media channels every day. You’ll use smart tricks and techniques to get the most out of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Work with partners and press to get the word out. You’ll get great content about us and our ventures onto listings sites, online communities, magazines and blogs.
- Approach the most exciting prospects directly. Use your knack for networking to track down and personally approach potential applicants, explaining the benefits of the programme, connecting them to our Fellows and unpacking the selection process for them.
- Be the friendly face of our recruitment campaigns. You’ll answer questions and guide prospective applicants through the selection process all the way to their first day of the programme.
- Keep meticulous records. You’ll manage various project plans, databases and communications grids to make sure we are 100% on top of our progress and we can access accurate information on prospects instantaneously
- You’re a brilliant writer. In you r email campaigns, website updates, blogs, tweets, posts, presentations and individual emails, you’ll sparkle when explaining why Year Here is so great.
- You care a lot about great branding and design. You know what great digital and print content looks like and you won't send anything out that doesn't reflect us and our high standards.
- You’re charming as hell. You’re going to be the first person many potential Year Here Fellows will meet from our team so you’ll be personable, confident and a great rapport-builder.
- You’re analytical and data-driven in your approach. You’re going to be savvy about using data to inform your marketing strategy and get the most out of our email campaigns, content marketing, advertising and social media.
- You’ve got an entrepreneurial bent.You enjoy fast moving environments and you’re used to achieving a lot with a little. You might have set something up in the past or you’re planning to in the future.
- You’re passionate about social issues. Your friends have probably all heard your views on social problems like the housing crisis, elderly isolation and social immobility – and you’re always up to date with current affairs.
- You’re not afraid of working hard in pursuit of a big vision.
- £27,000 to £31,000 pro rata, depending on experience
- Gorgeous, open plan studio in Hackney, a stone’s throw from London Fields (and its newly - reopened Lido), Regent’s Canal and Broadway Market.
- Scope to take real ownership in a fast-growing startup
- Access to tonnes of events and training sessions delivered by some of the leading lights of the social innovation world.
- A strong commitment to personal and professional development – with a £500 annual training budget.
- Up to 3% contribution to your pension
- 25 days paid annual leave per year pro rata
Send us an email with the subject line “[Your Name] / Communications Manager Application” in which you:
- Tell us about yourself and why you want this role.
- Tell us about a brand that you’re into + why we should love it to.
- Link us to a sample of your writing (a piece in the press, a blog post or a social media feed, for example).
- Attach your CV and/or link us to a LinkedIn profile or online portfolio.
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and address it to Jack Graham. The closing date for the role is midnight on Sunday 25 th February. There is a 4-stage selection process:
1. Submission of CV and cover letter as detailed above.
2. An initial call (~20 mins )
3. A first round interview and test (~ 2 hours)
4. A final round interview (~ 90 mins)
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities and people with disabilities.
Want to get jobs like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for the tbd* UK newsletter here.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.