Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. With about 120 employees and about 70.000 members, it is the oldest and largest of 38 independent chapters of the international Wikimedia movement. The most well-known Wikimedia project, the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia, is used by millions of people across the world every day and is continuously updated and improved by millions of users.
Wikimedia Deutschland furthers these ideals even beyond the free encyclopedia: It is our aim to establish and promote the creation, collection, and distribution of free knowledge in all parts of society. Our objective is to create a world in which the sum of all human knowledge is freely accessible for everyone. The main focus of our activities is the support of volunteers, the development of technology and software, and the cooperation with cultural and scientific institutions. Furthermore, we advocate on both the national and EU-level a legal framework which allows for free knowledge to become part of our everyday life.
We are looking for a Product Manager (f/m/d) to join our Software & Development Department in the heart of Berlin. This role will focus on developing the strategy for Wikibase the software behind Wikidata and driving from there the feature development for the identified market segments and users. Since the project practices community-centered software development, not only the technical aspects but also the social and collaborative aspects of software development are important. The role will report to the Head of Product Development, and is part of a team of product, program, and project people.
What you will perform:
You will work as part of a cross-functional team consisting of UX, Engineering, and Community Communications, and take care of developing a compelling product vision for Wikibase and its ecosystem. You will drive the roadmap and prioritize features and product components.
You are responsible for:
- Developing the product vision for Wikibase in its growing ecosystem
- Understanding the landscape in which Wikibase exists and the different user segments with their needs and problems to solve.
- Defining and prioritizing product features in close collaboration with stakeholders and the emerging communities within the ecosystem.
- Defining outcomes, success criteria and the right metrics to measure them in order to determine if the created products and features are indeed having the desired impact.
- Aligning, structuring, and communicating the Wikibase product roadmap
- Determining the need for product research or user testing together with the UX team and taking the right steps to enable data-informed product decisions.
- Defining features and products with UX, Engineering and Community Communications
- Managing and coordinating with multiple stakeholders inside WMDE and other affiliates within the Wikimedia movement and beyond.
- Progress and status reporting to internal and external stakeholders
As Product Manager you have/are:
- proven experience as a product manager in an agile work environment
- successfully launched digital products
- product strategy as one of your strengths
- experience with different methodologies (e.g. for prioritization, quantitative and qualitative methods to assess a product's success, user-centered development methods, lean product development) in the product space
- failed and learned from projects
- a strong understanding of technology
- the ability to work well with a variety of stakeholders technical and non-technical alike
- the drive to assure a consistent, rapid and effective delivery of products
- experience in crafting an MVP
- aware of the difference between Kanban and Scrum
- experience with user- and data-informed decision making
- a team player, and an eye-level communicator with a proactive attitude to solving problems
- an attentive listener capable of seeing multiple perspectives
- fluent in English; German language skills are a plus
What we offer:
- You can attend local user groups during work time and you are encouraged to do so
- You will have a noticeable impact on one of the top four visited websites in the world
- We regularly go to conferences, both as attendees and participants
All software we develop is Open Source, and we contribute back to various projects we use. Many of our components are published in a format that allows to re-use them beyond our own projects.
In addition to your salary we offer:
- A friendly and open-minded team that looks forward to working with you
- The opportunity to promote Free Knowledge in a unique movement
- Varied and interesting challenges in a future-oriented and international environment, with a highly engaged global community
- A modern and centrally located office space
- An agile and dynamic organization with room for professional and personal development, and with flexible working hours
- In addition to your salary, we offer: Public transport allowance; access to complementary pension benefits; continued salary in the event of ill children; free coffee, tea, soft drinks and organic fruits; access to free-of-cost counselling and coaching on work-relöated and personal matters
Initial appointment is for 2 years.
Then apply now! Send us your detailed application documents via our job portal. Our personnel team will be happy to answer your questions. We kindly ask you to refrain from submitting photos and information on date of birth, marital status, and parents. We look forward to hearing from you!
Wikimedia Germany is committed to equal opportunities and does not discriminate on the basis of, for example, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or belief, political or other opinion, gender, age, disability, or sexual identity or orientation.
In light of an underrepresentation of women in our Software Development Department, we strongly encourage qualified women to apply.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.