Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. In collaboration with more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Project Accounting Team is responsible for the management accounting function of the Secretariat. The team works closely with project managers and partners (particularly National Chapters) to support the effective financial management of the many projects we run. This includes working with a diverse range of donors and fulfilling differing donor requirements, while also assisting National Chapters in developing efficient project financial management systems. The Project Accountant role therefore offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to learn and master all aspects of project financial management.
The Project Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day financial control within assigned projects/teams, and provides financial management support to project staff. The Project Accountant coordinates the timely reporting of accurate financial information for regular reporting of assigned projects to appropriate project stakeholders.
Starting date: October 2019
Duration: Until December 2020 (parental leave cover)
Location: TI-Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin/Germany
Team: Project Accounting / Finance
- Provide financial management support to assigned Programmes/Projects/Teams and their staff
- Prepare accurate budgets for proposals, projects, and teams, including relevant supporting narrative and explanations
- Monitor expenditure, budgets and cash flows, at appropriate intervals to identify material issues as they arise and to propose appropriate preventative interventions and solutions in a timely fashion
- Prepare financial reports to donors, ensuring accuracy and compilation of supporting documentary evidence; engage auditors on project audits
- Support preparation of monthly management accounts, monitoring that income and expenditure is recorded into the accounting system accurately
- Ensure the operational efficiency and effectiveness of all project accounting procedures
- Support clear internal project communications capability across TI-S and the Movement
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- Part/Fully qualified Accountant (e.g. ACCA, CIMA or ACA) or university studies in Accounting, Finance, Economics and/or Business
- Min. 5+ years of financial, project and operational management experience
- Knowledge and experience of managing projects funded by the European Commission a strong asset
- Knowledge of MS Office; advanced skills in Excel and competence in SQL an advantage
- Strong organisational skills and ability to work against tight deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and within the finance team and with other teams
- Excellent English language skills (oral and written) required; additional languages, in particular German, French and/or Spanish, an advantage
- Good communication skills and ability to explain accounting and financial matters to non-financial staff
- Culturally sensitive and able to handle issues with diplomacy and to cultivate productive working relationships
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter (mentioning the source of the application, TBD) and CV in English (in one pdf-file) to:
Closing date for applications is Sunday, 25 August 2019.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and that due to the high volume of applications it is unfortunately not possible to provide individual feedback.
To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.