Location: Frankfurt, Germany preferred; other locations in Germany considered
Report to: Chief Development Officer (CDO)
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. We have pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and agricultural training to increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. myAgro’s North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty.
About This Role
myAgro currently seeks a Director of Development to join our development team and to lead and execute a comprehensive strategy for maintaining and increasing funding from government sources. Working closely with the CDO and collaborating with other senior leaders across the organization, this role is responsible for overseeing all partnerships with new and existing government funders. The Director of Development is the lead architect and strategist for government fundraising efforts, develops high-quality solicitation and grant reporting materials, and ensures that myAgro builds strong lasting relationships with all institutional funders and prospects.
This Director-level role forms part of the Development leadership team, and will help drive the fundraising efforts for the organization, and will partner with the CDO and Director of Foundations in leading a high-performing, energetic, and adaptive team of fundraising professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build a portfolio of new public or corporate donors at the Mission or Regional level through:
- Research: Maintain a pipeline of potential funding opportunities through research and intel gathering
- Relationships: Build relationships across the public funding sector to support in the development, shepherding and awarding of funding proposals
- Close deals: In close collaboration with others on the fundraising team, you will identify relevant funding opportunities, and steward them through to a successful award
- Stewardship: You will manage existing grants and relationships, including working with others on the fundraising and country teams to provide relevant reporting oversight
- Lead on relationships / cultivation and post-award management with European Government donors and some corporate donors
- Across all donor portfolios, you will -
- Work with other fundraisers on the team to contribute too and push forward our global fundraising strategy, including updating relevant databases and reports to support alignment and awareness and team collaboration
- Develop fluency in agricultural development, poverty alleviation, savings/layaway and myAgro, to support external representation and build excitement about our work among donor communities
- Represent myAgro at conferences and donor meetings
- Host public and private donors visiting our programs in West Africa or Tanzania (as needed)
- Strategy & Internal Communications and Collaboration
- Support the development of specific mission or regional level strategies for certain large bilateral or multilateral funders working with the CEO, CD and CDO or other key team members to develop and implement this strategy, and report out on progress
- Agree on biweekly and/or monthly activity targets with your manager to show progress against longer term strategic proposals (# meetings, #leads developed, #concept notes or proposals submitted) and report weekly on progress during 1:1s or by email
- As part of the development team, all team members:
- Support or lead in some capacity writing, editing, or finalizing high quality and compelling written materials, including LOIs, proposals, and grant reports;
- Communicate progress in standing meetings, updates or to support internal or board comms
- Establish productive relationships with other teams in the organization, to design and report on successful proposals (eg. Government Relations/Policy, Communications, Field, and Finance teams).
- Support on other projects or related work as needed
Desired Qualifications and Competencies:
- A deep commitment to the mission, vision, and values of myAgro;
- A minimum of seven years of professional work experience directly in government fundraising or in a government funding capacity;
- Experience working with BMZ, KFW, and other German development agencies
- A proven track record of successfully securing six-figure and seven-figure multi-year grants;
- A strong network of relationships with foundation and government funders;
- Previous experience with prospect research and identification strategies;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to effectively and comfortably build relationships with all levels of foundation and government agency staff members, including senior executives;
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment across multiple programs and departments;
- Demonstrated ability for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment;
- Highly organized, reliable, and able to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Solutions-oriented, self-directed, self-aware, and self-disciplined;
- Willingness and ability to travel;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and German; French is a plus;
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.