Sir Jack Petchey CBE founded the Jack Petchey Foundation in 1999 to recognise the positive contributions young people make to society and assist them in achieving their potential. The foundation supports programmes and projects that benefit young people aged 11-25 in London and Essex and have invested over £110 million in such schemes.
The Jack Petchey Foundation seeks a
Communications and PR Coordinator
Circa £21-25K depending on experience. London, UK. Full-time.
We’re looking for someone to join our enthusiastic, focused and friendly team and take on the challenge of delivering exceptional service and content to the media and online in what will be a very busy (but very enjoyable!) role.
Purpose of Job
To increase the profile of the Jack Petchey Foundation, enhancing our PR and Communications functions including coverage of events, a regular release of “good news” stories and case studies on our website/ through local newspapers and to attract regional/national interest in a number of key stories during the year.
You will also increase the online profile of the Foundation through web content and social media, attracting more followers, and driving ideas for greater online engagement with young people and other stakeholders. An exciting task will be working on an overhaul of our website making it more appealing, functional and interactive with social media platforms.
- Write and distribute press releases about our celebration events and support events through social media.
- Review and develop our social media strategy, making recommendations to the Head of Communications and PR on how we can engage more with our target audiences including young people. You will then be implementing plans and developing new social media channels as agreed.
- Working with the Head of Communications and PR take responsibility for implementing agreed changes to our website leading to a major refresh of the JPF website.
- Review the process for engagement with Jack Petchey Foundation Achievement Award winners through social media. We have a huge database. You will see how we can improve sign up rates and develop a strategy for online communications with them.
- Maintain a library system of press cuttings.
- Build/ update media lists to ensure JPF can release timely and relevant stories.
- Help to monitor stories on young people and JPF.
- Liaise with JPF staff and external partners to identify news stories of media interest and new content for the website.
- Release “good news” stories about young people’s achievements to the press in a strategic manner. Interview, write and release stories via web/social media and press contacts. This will include weekly case studies for our website.
- Assist with JPF Newsletters and design/content of other publications when needed.
- Add content to our website about our events and programmes and support these through social media.
- Work with staff to produce more audio visual content for the website and social media.
- Produce monthly reports on PR, website and social media following an agreed evaluation and reporting process.
- Work at all times within the policies, procedures and values of JPF in particular Child Protection, Health and Safety, Data Protection and Publicity Consent policies.
These are the normal duties which the charity requires from the position. However, it is necessary for all staff to be flexible and all employees will be required from time to time to perform other duties as may be required by JPF.
Terms and Conditions
- Office Base: Dockmaster’s House, 1 Hertsmere Rd, London, E14 8JJ (Canary Wharf area).
- Hours: Office hours are 9am – 5.30pm (1 hour for lunch). However it is expected that the postholder will need to work some evenings and weekends for which time off in lieu will be given.
- Salary: Circa £21-25K depending on experience.
- Pension: If the post holder is over 21 they will be auto-enrolled into the JPF pension scheme but may request to be removed.
- Travel & Expenses: When on JPF business travel expenses will be paid at public transport rate or 45p a mile if car used for business.
- Health insurance: Optional health insurance policy available.
- Annual Leave: 28 days including public holidays over a year pro rata.
- DBS: The post involves work with children/young people. The post holder will therefore be required to have an enhanced DBS check.
- Start/Length of Contract: Permanent.
Essential: Degree level Education
Desirable: PR/Marketing degree or equivalent
- Ability to plan and deliver projects to agreed deadlines
- Excellent English, communication, writing and presentation skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritise time
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Excellent knowledge of key social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
- Knowledge of the third sector/youth organisations
- Knowledge of coding or Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Relevant experience in PR/Comms
- Of delivering set projects within time scales
- Of working on an online campaign either in the workplace or elsewhere
- Of working in a team.
- Of work with young people (paid or unpaid)
- Of work for charity/non-profit organisations.
- Commitment to the vision and values of the Jack Petchey Foundation
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to give and receive feedback and learn from experience
- Ability to work on own initiative
- An understanding and commitment to promote opportunity for all
- Respect for diversity
- Ability to communicate with young people
- Understanding of professional boundaries
- Attention to detail
- Vision and ability to think strategically and creatively
- Prepared to travel as required.
How to Apply
Candidates are selected on the merits of their application – please demonstrate how you meet the above person specification in your application.
Closing Date: 5pm January 5th, 2018
Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the tbd* weekly UK newsletter here.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.