ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of cities committed to building a sustainable future. With our 1500 members and 15 offices worldwide, ICLEI impacts over 1/4 of the global urban population. We have recently celebrated our 25th anniversary and are proud to cover an ever-growing range of topics relevant to cities worldwide.
ICLEI's European Secretariat is based in Freiburg (Germany) but, as the importance of sustainability on the local level grows, so does our organisation. In 2018 we have opened a new office in Berlin (Germany), with a focus on governance and social innovation, as well as on strengthening our relationships with German public sector, academic and civil society partners.
Do you want to contribute to making our cities better places to live?
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability seeks a
Officer - Governance & Social Innovation
(ICLEI Europe, Berlin Office)
- Start date: 01 June 2018
- Duration: 12 months (extension intended)
- Deadline for application: 30 April 2018
Working with us, you will have an opportunity to:
- Deepen your understanding of how cities design and implement sustainability policies, what kind of challenges they face and how best to support them;
- Work alongside leading urban researchers and practitioners on a broad portfolio of international projects, addressing current hot topics;
- Contribute to national and international processes shaping urban policies;
- Be part of an internationally recognised organisation that inspires, supports and critically evaluates new trends in sustainable urban development;
- Enjoy flat hierarchies, space for personal development and fair working conditions.
We are looking for a person that meets the following criteria:
- Interested in sustainable urban development, ideally with a focus on issues like multi-level governance, social innovation, public participation, rural-urban linkages or sustainability transitions;
- Experienced in working in a project-based environment, ideally with international projects for and with local governments (at least 2 years);
- Good communicator in person and in writing, confident in interacting with partners ranging from grassroots organisations to ministries;
- Proficient in German (ideally mother tongue) and English, spoken and written;
- Reliable, curious, able to work independently and keep calm in a fast-paced, international environment
Your job description will include the following main tasks, with possibility to evolve as you gain experience:
- Design and implementation of collaborative projects related to sustainable urban development (e.g. EU-funded), including delivery of consultancy services for local governments;
- Design and facilitation of events, ranging from hands-on trainings to international project meetings and conferences;
- Researching and drafting publications addressed to urban practitioners, including reports, case studies or news articles;
- Representing ICLEI towards relevant institutions and organisations, particularly in a German-speaking context;
- Project management, including communication with project partners and funders, reporting and general administrative tasks.
We offer a 1-year contract, with extension intended and a gross salary according to Officer position in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: EUR € 40.800 - €44.400 per annum for 100%), 40h working week with 6 weeks paid leave per annum.
Working language is English, frequent travel within Germany and Europe foreseen. An introductory work period in Freiburg might be considered.
Please note that applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to:
For more information about ICLEI visit:
ICLEI Europe’s Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI Europe’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organisation hires employees without regard to their race, colour, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, socio-economic background or sexual orientation. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely on the basis of their qualifications and competencies.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.