Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in more than 130 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
GIZ implements the project "Tech Entrepreneurship Initiative Make-IT in Africa" on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). It is part of the BMZ initiative "Digital Africa" and aims at improving the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the digital economy. In its second project phase Make-IT supports tech start-ups in their early growth phase and strengthens public and private intermediaries of the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Application deadline: 01/30/2022
- Taking the existing Make-IT in Africa activities in the ecosystem to the next level by extending them to regional and pan-African level
- Co-creating and boosting regional implementation of Make-IT in Africa with the local teams and the Project Management, by actively contributing to building a strong regional team that combines detailed overviews of the different regional/country needs with creative and impactful delivery approaches
- Establishing a wider cooperation with the private sector, e.g. initiation and implementation of development partnerships with the private sector
- Identifying and maintaining contacts with private investors and public financing partners for Eastern African tech start-ups
- Building complex multi country delivery projects with the respective local ecosystems
- Assuming responsibility for Make-IT in Africa’s implementation in Eastern Africa, including budget planning, developing terms of reference for sub-contractors, operational planning and managing short term experts and consultants
- Actively building close ties to the Digital Transformation Centers in the Region and to other bilateral, regional or global GIZ projects, regional and pan-African partners to leverage synergies, e.g. advising other projects on the integration of the Make-IT in Africa approach into the respective project and activity concepts
- Initiating a policy exchange and regional learning framework for topics around entrepreneurship promotion e.g. Startup Acts, innovation policies, etc.
- Several years of professional experience in development cooperation at home and abroad, in combination with a degree in a relevant topic
- Regional experience in East-Africa is an advantage
- Several years of relevant professional experience, preferably gained abroad in the promotion of start-ups and innovation ecosystems in Africa and Europe
- Experience in initiating and implementing development partnerships with the private sector
- Enjoy working in intercultural and remote teams and have diplomatic skills
- Proven networking skills, a proven network to African and European actors in the innovation ecosystem is an advantage
- Fluency in German and English; knowledge of French is an advantage
In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
This position is suited to a full or a part-time position.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.
We are happy to help accompanying partners discuss questions about benefits, residence permits and how to find your own job locally - feel free to get in touch with us during your application phase at email@example.com.
The willingness to work reciprocally abroad and in Germany is required.
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19
Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
Your professional and personal development is important to us. At GIZ, you will be offered global work opportunities and an atmosphere that is characterised by diversity, respect and genuine equal opportunities. Gender equality promotion is a matter of course for us. Our benefits are also impressive in terms of work-life balance and family friendliness. Flexible working hours that fit your life situation are an integral part of our corporate culture.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Recruitment and Follow-on assignments Client Portal
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.