Do you want to make a major contribution to creating a more sustainable future?
Forum for the Future is a leading global sustainability non-profit. For over 20 years we’ve been working in partnership with business, governments and civil society to accelerate the shift toward a sustainable future. We specialize in addressing critical global challenges by catalyzing change in key systems.
We are in an exciting growth phase with expansion in new markets in Asia and the United States.
We are looking for a creative, experienced
Head of Communications and Marketing
to support this growth and to help us achieve greatest impact in the world. Reporting to the Chief Development and Communications Officer, you will lead a small team of communications professionals in London while also supporting our regional teams in Asia and the US. You will be responsible for working with the team to develop a strategy that will increase our brand profile, support fundraising, and drive change within our focus areas.
- Location: 19-23 Ironmonger Row, London EC1V 3QN
- Responsible to: Chief Development and Communications Officer
- Responsible for: A team of up to five
- Salary range: £43909 to £48682 plus £3550 London Weighting allowance
- Working hours: 37.5 per week excluding lunch breaks. The pattern of hours may vary according to operational needs and generally work will be carried out during normal office hours.
- Contract: This is a permanent contract. The notice period is three months in writing on each side. There is a probationary period of three months.
- Holiday: 25 days per annum, plus statutory holidays pro rata.
- Equal opportunities: The Forum strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected
Purpose: To lead the global communications function with the goal of building the Forum brand and supporting the organisation’s ability to create impact.
- Strategy and planning: Work closely with the CDCO to develop and implement a communications and marketing strategy for the organisation, including communications for key Forum projects, stakeholder outreach and engagement, social media and digital channels and properties, and sub-strategies for each of Forum’s regional offices. Create annual business plans and budgets to deliver against strategy.
- Thought Leadership and Content Creation: Work closely with organisational leadership, project teams and the Learning Curator and Knowledge Manager to develop creative approaches to thought leadership and support the creation of regular blogs, vlogs, news articles and opinion editorials; ensure that Forum is represented at key global key conferences and events, in addition to supporting the high quality delivery of Forum’s own events programme. Take the lead on producing key organisational publications on digital platforms, including the Forum Annual Report and the Future of Sustainability report. Work closely with the CDCO and Fundraising Manager on the development of effective fundraising materials.
- Media relations: Build relationships and manage outreach with media contacts/outlets and key trade and consumer publications in key markets. Manage a small team to deliver proactive and reactive media interaction, including creating media strategies, pitching stories, creating and distributing press releases, identifying and training key spokespeople, and monitoring the impact of media relations efforts.
- Internal Communications, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building: Work closely with the HR department and Learning Curator and Knowledge Manager to develop plans to support effective internal communications and knowledge management. Work with the communications team to develop and deliver a suite of capacity building efforts for internal teams on exceptional communications including communications strategy development, media training, and effective use of communications tools.
- Brand Management: In 2018 Forum will be launching a new visual identity and refreshing the organisational brand. Take responsibility for a full brand roll-out plan using existing resources, and develop the tools and training needed to ensure that messaging is consistent across the organisation and that Forum staff act as effective brand ambassadors. Develop guidelines and processes to ensure that brand integrity is maintained.
- Stakeholder Engagement and Community Building: Work closely with the program teams at Forum to ensure that communications planning is in place to ensure that key partner relationships are effectively stewarded, and that we are effectively leveraging partner networks to deliver change and amplify our communications efforts. Work closely with the Cultivate and Create teams to support marketing and communications that will build
- Project Communications: Lead a team of professionals providing communications support to key Forum projects, including strategy development, stakeholder engagement, and delivery of impact; taking the lead in directing communications strategy on high-profile or high-risk projects.
- Reporting and Evaluation: Provide regular reporting on the effectiveness of Forum’s key communications activities to the CDCO, CEO and Board of Trustees on a regular basis.
- Line Management: Manage a team of communications professionals in the UK and around the world, ensuring they are delivering on their workplans and supporting their professional development.
- Development and implementation of communications strategy and annual business plans are developed.
- Increase in brand profile for the organisation, particularly in new geographies.
- Maintaining the integrity of the Forum brand
- Increasing staff capacity to manage communications
- Priority projects are supported with effective communications strategy and planning.
- Communications activities are delivered effectively and to budget
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, with a minimum of five years leading the communications function in a global non-profit organisation. Ideally with exposure to the unique challenges of driving communications and marketing in the UK, Asia and the US – where Forum has regional offices, and managing a brand across multiple geographies.
- A demonstrated track record of creating effective strategies and annual plans that will translate communications and marketing initiatives into results and impact and change in the world, with a focus on innovative, digital approaches.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications and people management skills.
- Extensive experience in developing thoughtful and creative content to drive change across all channels, with a well-developed portfolio of authorship of articles, blogs, opinion editorials, speeches and presentations.
- A highly competent relationship builder, with demonstrated experience in successful stakeholder engagement, influence at the highest levels of an organisation and in interacting with senior corporate and not for profit leaders.
- An established network of media contacts both in the UK and globally.
- Experience in using Salesforce or asimilar CRM to manage organisational contacts.
- Experience in broad communications leadership in the UK, Asia Pacific, India and the US – where Forum has regional offices.
- Experience in building and managing annual budgets, and in managing relationships with external suppliers and agencies.
- Exposure to and understanding of fundraising and business development
- Specialist knowledge of the sustainability world and a strong commitment to the mission and values of Forum for the Future.
To apply for this role please fill out this application form.
If you have filled out this application, we request that you also fill out our Equal Opportunities form.
The deadline for the application is 12pm on 22 May 2018.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.