Operations Coordinator (full-time)
Salary: €32,100 – 35,500
Contract duration: 6 months (extendable upon review)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Location: Berlin, Germany
FORENSIS e.V is a non-profit association committed to counter-investigating violence and repression by state and corporate actors around the world, using techniques pioneered by Forensic Architecture (a research agency based at Goldsmiths, University of London). FORENSIS is dedicated to the interdisciplinary research and development of new investigative technologies and methods, working at the intersection of architecture, art, science, software, filmmaking, and law for the investigation of violations of human and environmental rights. The evidence produced by these investigations will be presented through participation in or the establishment of cultural, political, and legal forums, including courtrooms, inquiries, tribunals, and truth commissions, as well as through lectures, seminars, publications, and exhibitions in art and cultural institutions.
The Operations Coordinator will assume various tasks that pertain to the administration and organisation of FORENSIS. The successful candidate will have experience in a similar role within an administrative capacity within the charitable sector in Germany, and have demonstrably strong organisational, editorial, and communication skills.
Key tasks may include office management, contract drafting, budgeting and financial management, liaising with internal and external stakeholders, coordinating the operations and administration of the organisation, and management of internal and external communications.
As FORENSIS is a newly established organisation, the Operations Coordinator will need to be able to work independently, creatively, and flexibly in order to make the most of their responsibilities within a dynamic and developing environment. Experience in establishing a new organisation in Germany would be a distinct advantage.
The Operations Coordinator will need to become familiar with FORENSIS’s overall organisational and programming strategies in order to work with the General Secretary to identify opportunities in line with FORENSIS’s interests, and to develop, improve, and implement operational structures. The Operations Coordinator will need to be able to independently liaise with various professional services (e.g. lawyers and accountants) and government agencies (e.g. the German tax office, employment office, etc.), and to identify when further or specialist advice is necessary.
The Operations Coordinator will need to be organised, responsible, and reliable, have a keen eye for detail, and will enjoy working as part of a multidisciplinary team. They will ensure that internal and external communications are productively and actively maintained, and are written to a high professional standard. Demonstrably strong written and interpersonal communication in both English and German is essential and editorial and/or translation experience would be an asset. With the ability to work independently and proactively, they will have the confidence to deal with a wide variety of people, prioritise competing deadlines, and comprehend complex situations quickly.
- Scheduling meetings, travel, and appointments
- Organising and maintaining office supplies & equipment
- Organising and archiving documents and project data in collaboration with the researchers
- Day-to-day financial administration (e.g. processing payroll, expenses, and invoices) as well as overall budget tracking and financial management
- Drafting contracts for staff, contractors, research projects, grants, exhibitions, etc. and liaising with our General Secretary, lawyer, and other parties as and when issues or negotiations arise
- Coordinating external communications, including answering general queries and press requests
- Managing internal office communications
- Liaising with Forensic Architecture/Goldsmiths and ECCHR as the key collaborators of FORENSIS
- Gathering and preparing images and text for publication in press and exhibitions
- Coordinating the preparation, editing, design, and writing of publications
- Maintaining our website and social media accounts and reporting any bugs or potential improvements to our web developer and relevant team members
- Maintaining our press and publications archives
- Coordination of exhibitions, lectures, and other public events
- General writing and copyediting tasks as needed
- Translation of documents and project text between English and German
- You will be required to undertake any other duties to support the practical needs of the research team as may reasonably be required
Detailed below are the types of qualifications, experience, skills and knowledge which are required of the post holder. Selection will be made upon evidence of best-fit with these criteria.
The Essential criteria sections show the minimum essential requirements for the post, therefore if you cannot demonstrate in your application you meet the essential criteria categorised below, you will not be invited to interview.
The Desirable criteria sections show additional attributes which would enable the applicant to perform the role more effectively with little or no training.
Essential Criteria 1 - Qualifications
Education to degree level in any discipline
Essential Criteria 2 - Experience
Demonstrable experience in administration or office management within the charitable sector in Germany
Desirable Criteria 2 - Experience
Experiences might include: project coordination or management within NGOs and cultural institutions, coordinating exhibitions, copyediting, or project coordination within a charitable and/or academic setting.
Experience with setting up a new Verein or company in Germany would be a distinct advantage.
Essential Criteria 3 - Knowledge
Knowledge of administrative, organisational, and internal/external communications strategies, especially within public institutions and/or charities
Desirable Criteria 3 - Knowledge
Knowledge of German charity law, copyright law, and/or contract law
Essential Criteria 4 - Skills
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and German. Ability to communicate effectively and to a high standard of professionalism.
Translation of documents between English and German (and vice versa)
Desirable Criteria 4 - Skills
Online media production and web design, especially with Wordpress and social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
Organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure.
Demonstrates initiative as well as creativity re: problem solving.
Able to work independently with minimal supervision but also as part of a dynamic team when required.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.