Environmental lawyers ClientEarth are seeking an experienced senior strategic communications officer to join them full-time in their office in Berlin. We are a legal and environmental charity that uses the power of the law to fight climate change and to protect nature and the environment.
In this role you will be supporting a team of lawyers, lending impact to our innovative legal and campaigning activities with strategic communications work. We are seeking somebody who can take our expertise into political circles at this crucial time in Germany’s climate and energy transition.
There is a lot of scope for creativity in this role. You will be navigating between important climate and energy issues, affecting real people, and complex legal interventions, to develop engaging stories and media outputs to influence policymakers and inspire the public.
You will be responsible for closely monitoring political, economic and legal developments, particularly around the coal exit and associated litigation, and responding with appropriate communications.
As well as working with Berlin staff and ClientEarth’s head office in London, you will be expected to form relationships and liaise with journalists, other NGOs and campaigners, and political stakeholders, maintaining and developing ClientEarth’s position in the climate and energy debate in Germany.
Alongside media and campaigning work, you will also be responsible for producing content for our German website and managing and building out our German social media channels, with the support of the central communications team.
Meet your Manager
In this role, you will be managed by Ellen Baker, who is based in our London office. Ellen is the Strategic Communications Manager for Western Europe. She leads a team to use a diverse range of communications tools to help deliver our legal teams’ objectives. She joined ClientEarth in 2015, after working in editorial, digital and marketing roles. Ellen speaks four languages, including German.
- Developing, implementing and measuring an innovative communication plan for the Berlin office
- Delivering corporate communications for ClientEarth Germany, including maintaining our German-language website and social media channels
- Creating impactful print, digital, and social content
- Delivering sustained, high-profile, positive communications, including high-quality media coverage
- Preparing ClientEarth staff for media and speaking opportunities
- Acting as a trusted communications advisor to colleagues
- Representing ClientEarth in relevant national and international coalitions
- Developing relationships with journalists, partner organisations and others who can help us deliver our messages.
- Developing and expanding our German contact base, including maintaining media lists
- Monitoring relevant media coverage
We are looking for someone bold, strategic and thoughtful, with great energy and fresh ideas. You will hold a strong interest in climate issues, be a great storyteller, and have an excellent eye for detail.
You will have a strong background in environmental and policy communications, or equivalent experience, with proven public relations experience and good contacts in German media. Knowledge and experience of the workings of the Bundestag, EU institutions, law, and policy is desirable. We are also looking for:
- Proven experience producing engaging press releases and gaining impactful media coverage in mainstream news outlets at national or international level
- Experience of briefing colleagues and preparing them for media interviews
- Experience of devising and delivering multi-channel communications campaigns
- Knowledge of German political systems and processes and experience of political advocacy
- Experience with web-based content management systems
- Knowledge of effective use of social media for campaigning
- Excellent copy-editing, proofing, verbal and written communication skills
- Fluent German (C2) and fluent English (C1-C2)
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
Please note ClientEarth’s working language is English. Please ensure you submit your CV and covering letter in English.
Flexible working: Post-covid, we are giving our staff the choice to decide where they want to work for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based. See our Benefits page for more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in Germany.
ClientEarth is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to third parties.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.