CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Working with institutional investors with assets of US$87 trillion and 100+ supply chain member companies with US$3000 billion procurement spent, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 9,000 companies with some 55% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2020. This is in addition to the over 500 cities and 100 states and regions who disclosed, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information and driver of change globally. Please visit www.cdp.net to find out more.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to support CDP’s work on the Science Based Targets Initiative.
About the SBTi
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a joint initiative between CDP, UN Global Compact, the World Resources Institute, and World Wildlife Fund, aiming to catalyze change towards a net-zero economy by driving the adoption of GHG emission reduction targets in the corporate sector that are consistent with the ambition required to keep temperature increase well-below 2°C. Over 1,000 of the world’s largest and most influential companies have joined the Science Based Targets initiative to date. Please visit www.sciencebasedtargets.org to find out more.
About the position
The SBTi Technical Manager is a new position. The postholder will work to help develop technical resources, guidance and tools to drive the adoption of climate targets in line with the ambition required to limit warming to 1.5°C with a special focus on industry and heavy emitting sectors. A core responsibility will be to lead a project intended to develop guidance to inform 1.5°C-aligned targets in the cement industry. You will report to the SBTI Net-Zero Senior Manager and will be part of the SBTi Technical Working Group.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated to create positive change through corporate climate action, thrives in a dynamic, multi-stakeholder environment, enjoys thinking holistically and creatively as well as working on implementation and delivery. The role requires deep understanding of climate mitigation pathways and decarbonization technologies in industrial sectors. The position involves both, project management – including coordination with key project stakeholders – as well as drafting of technical resources. Therefore good communication and technical skills is a requirement.
Key responsibilities include
- Development of guidance, tools and technical resources to enable the adoption of 1.5°C-aligned targets in heavy-emitting industrial sectors;
- Project coordination and stakeholder management for sector-specific resources to be developed in line with the SBTI Sectoral Development Framework;
- Research to identify suitable scenarios, decarbonization roadmaps and mitigation pathways to develop science-based target setting resources for the cement sector;
- Support with other ad-hoc research and technical activities as required by the Science Based Targets initiative;
- Coordinate and support outreach to stakeholders as part of the SBTi consultative processes on technical projects;
- Assist with ad-hoc tasks as required.
The successful candidate will have
- 5+ years professional experience, preferably within a corporate sustainability, account management and/or relationship management role;
- Good command of mitigation pathways, climate scenarios and decarbonization roadmaps;
- Good knowledge of corporate GHGs accounting and science-based target setting is required;
- Background in climate change, sustainability, environmental engineering, and/or sustainable development;
- Professional, effective and flexible team player, with proven ability to work with high-level representatives from the business, investors and civil society community;
- Ability to digest and communicate technical information to non-technical audiences;
- Entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and able to work independently in a remote work environment;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) with excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Proven project management skills;
- Results oriented, ability to handle multiple tasks and work in a constantly evolving environment;
- Able to work in an international and multi-cultural setting.
What we offer
- Working in one of the most successful and fastest growing initiatives driving climate action within the corporate sector;
- Exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic, international, innovative and highly motivated team;
- Competitive NGO salary and annual bonus (depending on company results);
- 30 days annual holidays;
- Flexible working hours;
- Company Pension with Allianz;
- Monthly contribution to public transport ticket (BVG Monatskarte);
- Modern office at WeWork (Sony Center) with free networking events, and hot and cold beverages.
Interested? Interested candidates should submit their application documents (motivation letter, CV, references/certificates, salary expectations and earliest starting date) in English, as a single PDF and via email to Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application – SBTi Technical Manager” in the subject line.
Before you apply, We will only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your application, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
Please note that we only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates due to the anticipated volume of applications. If you do not hear from us within 21 days of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for your understanding
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.