CDP Europe is a charitable organization registered in Brussels and Berlin and on the EU Transparency Register since 2012. It is part of the CDP Global System, a global non-profit that runs the world’s environmental disclosure system for companies, cities, states and regions. Founded in 2000 and working with over 590 investors with $110 trillion in assets, CDP pioneered using capital markets and corporate procurement to motivate companies to disclose their environmental impacts, and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Over 10,000 organizations around the world disclosed data through CDP in 2020, including more than 9,600 companies worth over 50% of global market capitalization, and over 940 cities, states and regions, representing a combined population of over 2.6 billion. Fully TCFD aligned, CDP holds the largest environmental database in the world, and CDP scores are widely used to drive investment and procurement decisions towards a zero carbon, sustainable and resilient economy. CDP is a founding member of the Science Based Targets initiative, We Mean Business Coalition, The Investor Agenda and the Net Zero Asset Managers initiative. Visit cdp.net or follow us @CDP and on LinkedIn to find out more.
Location: Berlin, Germany
Application deadline: Rolling
Earliest starting date: As soon as possible
CDP is looking for an experienced team leader who is passionate about the power of data to solve environmental issues. You will build & lead a growing global team of data scientists and other professionals to deliver data driven decision making for our clients and stakeholders.
Our cleaned and modelled data is used for Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) analysis by the financial services industry, international policy support, and the identification of high impact companies which will be served with world class data products. The ideal candidate will educate, plan & evangelise how the 4th industrial revolution of AI can influence climate and environmental action to create a 1.5° and nature positive economy that works for people and planet.
We are embarking on a mission to create new products and services based on the data that we have collected throughout the disclosure process over the last 15 + years. This role will be responsible and accountable for setting up and managing the team to deliver the new products from a backlog that you will manage in consultation with senior stakeholders.
The Data Team’s primary remit is to improve the usability of the climate change, water, forests and cities data disclosed to CDP through robust and transparent methods. The team will create sustainable data pipelines for data quality monitoring, data cleaning, reporting and data science modelling. Harmonised data collected from external sources will enrich the data assets’ value and enhance accessibility for CDP’s stakeholders. The team will produce value-adding insight delivering it through data products that help internal and external stakeholders to better understand the quantitative and qualitative results of their actions. This in turn helps stakeholders to make data-led decisions and optimise for all constraints. Through every stage the data assets are governed by the industry practice standards in a robust and transparent manner.
The role includes
- Help develop the vision and strategy for the Data Science portfolio in relation to industry evolution and stakeholder environment value opportunities;
- Stay up-to-date with state-of-the-art research and emerging market trends from which to implement new products and offerings;
- Lead the development of end-to-end machine learning prototypes and full products that can scale to run in a production environment;
- Contribute meaningful improvements to existing models through high-quality research and work with other departments in a lean agile manner;
- Build and develop an outstanding data science team as well as coach and mentor team members.
- Plan and schedule own work within set targets and timeframes;
- Ensure training and workshop materials are developed and training delivered for the wider CDP team and outside stakeholder audiences on the product development and lifecycle management;
- Managing an effective working relationship with the stakeholder team;
- Deliver the product strategy, and its evolution through stakeholder consultation and in addition design the necessary processes;
- Educate the organisation around product development and product lifecycle to ensure the increasing maturity of the organisation in the product space.
The successful candidate should have
Required skills and experience:
- Experience in ML Ops & experience in alignment of Crisp DM with scrum frameworks;
- Successful delivery of products & projects using Agile, Scrum whilst using tools from the Lean framework to reduce the value creation cycle from idea to prototype to MVP to MMP to MSSP;
- Strong stakeholder management and engagement skill;
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to convey complex topics to a broad audience;
- Highly skilled in Analytical thinking/Problem Solving, Strategic Thinking, Quality Assurance & Control.
Desired skills and experience (optional)
- Ph.D. and/or publications in international scientific conferences a strong plus;
- Experience of verification and assurance practices;
- Exposure to Climate Change data legislation, practices and stakeholders;
- Experience of Environmental related industries i.e Water, Energy, Forestry related.
What we offer
- Exciting and challenging tasks in an international team with flat hierarchies and quick decision making;
- Competitive NGO salary and annual bonus (depending on company results);
- 30 days annual holidays;
- Flexible working hours;
- Monthly contribution to public transport ticket (BVG Monatskarte);
- Modern office at Sony Centre/Potsdamer Platz (WeWork) with free hot and cold beverages.
The successful candidate will work five days per week and must be able to work legally in Germany, with an existing working permit. This full-time role is based at our office in Berlin, Germany, and report to the Executive Director.
Interested? Interested candidates should submit their complete application documents (motivation letter addressed to Maxfield Weiss, CV, references/certificates and salary expectations) in English via our recruiting platform.
Before you apply: We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicant's privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
Please note that we only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates due to the sheer volume of applications. If you do not hear from us within 21 days of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for your understanding.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.