Location: Berlin, Germany
Application deadline: Rolling
Earliest starting date: Asap
- Are you passionate about environmental issues?
- Are you excited to use your technical and analytical skills to make a difference and help us fight climate change?
- Would you enjoy enabling a policy-facing team in an international non-profit organization to pursue its mission through the creation of tools for deriving maximum impact from corporate and local government environmental data?
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join CDP’s European policy team. This position is an exciting opportunity to apply technical, analytical and data visualization skills in the context of an environmental NGO that works with governments across the EU, to drive legislation on climate change mitigation, water security and halting deforestation.
About the policy team:
Government action is crucial to fighting environmental impacts. CDP helps policymakers to achieve their goals and protect the climate and the environment by providing decision makers with access to a critical source of global data that delivers the evidence and insight required to drive non-state actor environmental action. The role will focus on supporting the European policy team with the creation and publication of internal and external data analysis reports, data visualization and developing new analysis methodologies/applications of CDP data.
CDP is a global non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with institutional investors with assets of US$106 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 9.6400 companies with over 50% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2020. This is in addition to the over 920 cities, states and regions who disclosed in 2019, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. CDP is a founding member of the We Mean Business Coalition. Visit https://cdp.net/en or follow us @CDP to find out more.
The role includes:
Data analysis and visualisation:
- Enabling the work of policy team through:
- Analysing the environmental data reported by European corporations (e.g. emission figures and zero deforestation targets) and subnational governments to identify trends and impacts;
- Developing creative and eye-catching data visualizations to communicate key messages for use in public reports, policy briefings, etc;
- Facilitating the internal and external accessibility, usability and analysis of CDP’s data;
- Developing tools and dashboards to deliver data analysis and identifying opportunities to streamline processes;
- Working with the policy team and other teams on developing new data assessment methodologies under a project with the Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea;
- Determine optimal data delivery methods and formats and support in the operationalization of identified requirements;
- Preparing high-quality briefing materials on the basis of CDP data, incl. preparation of CDP statements to public consultations of EU legislative proposals;
- Develop and maintain guidance documents and data dictionaries for CDP data sets;
- Ensure thorough documentation of all work, including coordination of documents or reports.
Coordination & organisation:
- Sketching out and implementing efficient processes and structures to gather and deliver on data needs and requests internal and external;
- Continuously improving overall data management and delivery processes;
- Support the organization of events, workshops and webinars;
- Assisting with ad-hoc tasks as required.
The successful candidate will have:
- BA/BSc degree (MA/MSc preferred) in fields like but not limited to business, data science, data analysis and visualization, computer science, political science (if with major in statistics), etc.;
- 2+ years work experience in a similar role;
- Technical skills:
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel and VBA/Macros
- Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following is an advantage: Python, SQL, Visual Basic, R, Power BI, Tableau
- Advanced knowledge of CRM systems, particularly MS Dynamics, is an advantage
- Knowledge of data visualization tools (e.g. Adobe Illustrator) is an advantage.
- Enjoy transforming a heterogenous data landscape with patchy documentation and procedures into a homogenous system, and striving from the opportunity to shape this;
- Creative problem-solving mentality coupled with attention to detail and a diligent working approach;
- Good presentation skills and ability to draw key messages out of complex analysis;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and work independently;
- Interest in sustainability and environmental topics a plus;
- Excellent English skills (verbal and written), other European languages are an advantage (particularly Italian).
What we offer:
- Exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic, innovative and highly motivated team;
- Working with many dedicated and passionate people for a good cause;
- Competitive NGO salary and annual bonus (depending on company results);
- 30 days annual holidays;
- Flexible working hours;
- Company Pension with Allianz;
- Monthly contribution to public transport ticket (BVG Monatskarte);
- Modern office at Sony Centre/Potsdamer Platz with free hot and cold beverages.
The successful candidate will work five days per week and must be able to work legally in Germany. This full-time role is based at our office in Berlin and will work closely with and report to the Policy Engagement Manager, CDP Europe.
Interested? Interested candidates should submit their complete application documents (motivation letter addressed to Mona Freundt, CV, references/certificates and salary expectations) in English, as a single PDF file and via email to email@example.com with “Senior Policy Data Officer – First name Last name” in the subject line.
Before you apply: We will only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicant's privacy notice. By emailing us your application, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
Please note that we only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates due to the sheer volume of applications. If you do not hear from us within 21 days of your application, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for your understanding.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.