Apolitical is the first global peer-to-peer platform for government, helping public servants find the ideas, experts and partners they need to solve the hardest challenges facing our societies. Our invitation-only network is used in more than 120 countries, including by mayors, ministers and former heads of state.
Apolitical seeks a
Director of Partnerships
Location: Berlin, Germany
Who We Are
In late February this year, the company was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the Social Good category, alongside Patagonia and Starbucks. In 2017, it was named one of the world’s 100 Most Disruptive Companies by Disrupt100.
Apolitical has government and institutional clients, and partners including the World Bank, Nesta, Chatham House, UK Cabinet Office, the UAE, the Bernard Van Leer Foundation, a Unicef-led partnership and more. Their media partners include the World Economic Forum, the Mandarin, Civil Service World, Vice Impact, the Huffington Post and more, with top policy stories reaching tens of millions of people.
It’s led by two experienced entrepreneurs with expertise in tech, government and policy, and is backed by the European Union and by mission-driven investors from around the world.
We believe that addressing the great challenges and opportunities of our time – from migration and cybersecurity to violence and urbanisation – requires smart, creative policymaking. Our core product is a knowledge and network platform, designed to give public servants better access to the policies, experts and partners they need. It brings the aesthetic of consumer tech and media, with the power of data analysis and machine learning to the often dry and impenetrable domain of policy. Over time, we will be evolving and expanding the platform to support those working in and with government in a variety of ways – including making it easier for government to find and work with the world’s most innovative tech startups.
At a time when government is under pressure everywhere, using digital tools to transform the business of government in countries all over the planet is one of the greatest technology endeavours of the age. Facilitating more innovative, connected and evidence-based policymaking with more data-driven procurement practices and more transformative partnerships will improve the lives of millions of people all over the world.
Apolitical has offices in the heart of London and Berlin, with a US office in the pipeline.
What We Do
Our core platform product helps public servants find what they need to make better policy decisions. Policymakers and their partners can login to our private network and discover one another via interactive maps and private directories. Our topic feeds bring them the latest and most important policies and opinions from around the world, along with curated forums, exclusive events and live online conversations with leaders. Both the scale of this platform offering and the user base are expanding rapidly. The platform brings together public servants from more than 120 countries to a space where they can find the best policy ideas and the best people to help execute them, unlocking the potential to change the world. Disrupt100 said, “This new approach to solving common problems could potentially impact everyone on the planet.”
Alongside our platform, Apolitical partners with key government and non-government innovators to curate and convene events and webinars on pressing issues, which in turn brings content and members to our platform.
Our current revenue comes mainly from innovative government departments and foundations who sponsor us to create “policy topics”, which bring together global best practice and innovators on the platform. For example, the UK Cabinet Office has supported us to create topics on “Inclusive Growth” and “Innovative Public Partnerships” and the Bernard van Leer Foundation has supported topics on “Early Childhood” and “Cities”. They have no editorial control. Taking a “high-tech to high-touch” approach Apolitical also partners with foundations, governments, mainstream media and more on policy exchange events. The Director of Partnerships will oversee and help lead this work.
We look for exceptional, mission-driven people and we believe in working hard but also in having fun. We are committed to creating a company that is good not only for the world but also for its employees. We are deeply mission- and values-driven. Our core values, and how they inform our decisions and actions, are:
- Public Service First
- A deep respect for the work of public servants everywhere as a force for good
- A commitment to ensuring everything we do on the platform always benefits our public service membersInvolving public servants in the design and creation of new features
- Undaunted by the scale of the world’s challenges and excited to learn, even from mistakes
- A focus on what’s working today (more than we think) as a foundation for improving tomorrow (which can be better than we think)
- An optimism about people: our network members, our team members and citizens everywhere
- Openness and a belief that the best solutions can come from anywhere
- A belief that sharing benefits governments, societies and citizens
- A deep curiosity about ideas from unfamiliar places and voices
- Trust (Don’t be dodgy)
- Remembering always that government relies on the public’s trust to function
- Hiring talented, mission-driven people who can take ownership and solve problems to build a company that government can rely on
- New York Times Test. Asking ourselves the question: if any internal deliberations were ever published on the front page of the New York Times, could we hold our heads up high and justify them?
The Director of Partnerships is a new role and will:
- Be responsible for identifying, developing and securing new partnerships
- Oversee all partnership relationships and touchpoints, including customizing and writing proposals, contracting, delivery, launch, ongoing reporting and coordination between the Operations, Content, Product, Growth and Communities teams.
- Manage a team of partnership managers.
- Represent the company at events including such activities as running workshops, public speaking and moderation.
- Feed insights and opportunities into our Growth and Community teams.
The Director of Partnerships will report to the Co-Founder and Executive Chairman.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent emotional intelligence
- A strong writer (ideally a native English speaker) with an eye for design
- Public speaking and moderation
- Project management and coordination
- People person
- Strong management skills
- Be able to manage and prioritize competing tasks and pressures
- A deep interest and or passion for policy
- Self-directed, self-learner
The ideal candidate will have had experience working:
- With or in government
- With policy
- As a consultant
- With a global perspective
- Across teams
- As a manager (with experience managing up)
The role includes significant amounts of international travel. We’re a small team in Berlin with a larger team in London (total of 27 people). We expect a roll-up your sleeves, get the job done type of attitude.
Our Work Style
Apolitical values hard and smart work, whilst having fun along the way, and respects and supports people’s lives outside of work. We are a highly flexible and supportive workplace — location, hours, holidays — asking team members to consider the needs and deadlines of the team. We are committed to building a company that is great for the world and great for the people who work with us.
How to Apply
Please send a CV and cover letter explaining your motivation for applying to the role and highlighting examples where you have demonstrated the required skills and qualities and salary requirements to the Director of Operations firstname.lastname@example.org.
NON-DISCRIMINATION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.