The Economy for the Common Good (ECG) is an economic model, which makes the Common Good, a good life for everyone on a healthy planet, its primary goal and purpose.
At the heart of this concept lies the idea that values-driven businesses are mindful of and committed to human dignity, solidarity and social justice, environmental sustainability, and transparency and co-determination.
To develop and promote this economic model, a grassroots volunteer movement formed in 2010. It is organised into ECG Local Chapters, Hubs (permanent working groups) and regional and national associations. To support the global ECG movement, the International Federation for the Economy for the Common Good e. V. (IF) acts as an international umbrella organisation.
The IF was founded in 2018 as a non-profit-association under German law. The IF is located in Hamburg / Germany. As an umbrella organisation, the IF is a Federation of bodies promoting the common good economy. The aim of the International Federation is to promote the cooperation of its member organisations, to form a platform for this and to create structures that enable synergies and make better use of potentials.
As Managing Director of the IF you are responsible for all business-related matters of the Federation. Whilst this is a responsible role, it is not a traditional Managing Director position as the IF is a non-hierarchical, democratic and collaborative organisation. The umbrella organisation is currently undergoing a transition phase as it moves towards closer internal collaboration in order to meet external expectations. We would welcome your support to clarify structures and decision-making in transparent, co-determination processes. Your role includes the wide range of administrative, organisational and financial tasks as well as legal aspects of the business. As board member of the IF you are legally accountable. As member of the Federation Management Team (FMT) you are in charge of financial and legal topics. Together with another member of FMT you jointly represent the Federation externally. As member of the enlarged ECG Management team (EMT) you coordinate the development of the international ECG movement. Your job position has to be approved by the FMC (Federation Members Council). The job is for 25 h per week.
- Managing financial and legal affairs with business partners, tax office, authorities, tax consultants and banks and cooperation partners. Ensure, that all financial and legal requirements of the IF are met within the international activities of the Federation.
- as it is a small team, operational administrative tasks are also taken on in the day-to-day business
- As managing director, you are involved in several working groups and project teams of the ECG movement. Some of the projects will be driven, managed and facilitated by you. Your cooperation requires the participation in 4 to 6 international online meetings per week. Additionally, some in-person meetings are required sometimes at the weekend.
- You are co-working with and supervising a 20 h administration assistant located in Hamburg. This person will manage all regular issues of administration. In addition, you are also involved in administration work like invoicing, contracting and clarifying accounting issues and tax related topics.
As finance director you are responsible for
- proper accounting and annual statement according to German law.
- preparing annual report, fundraising report
- running commercial activities of the IF in accordance with German tax law and German association law.
- budget planning, controlling and reporting
- the flow of payments among membership organisations
- all payment processing and liquidity planning
- supervising administration staff and international fundraising
- As the legal representative, you are accountable for
- compliance with the legal framework for non-profit associations under German law
- personnel management and personnel matters on a contractual basis;
formal recruitment and dismissal of employees in coordination with the association
- contract management of IF
- data protection issues and supervising external data policy office service,
trade mark issues and trade mark protection
- all legal requirements of the IF and related associations including legal conflicts
- The position holder is a representative
- of shareholder group of the BestEconomy gGmbH
- You have relevant experience in managing an NGO
- You have excellent inter-personal and facilitation skills, with experience of conflict management
- You have experience with German association law
- You are familiar with German Commercial Code (Handelsgesetzbuch) and accounting regulations and you have experience in contracting.
- You are a skilled project manager.
- Able to work in an international team in a complex and rapidly changing environment
- You are reliable, team-oriented, flexible and are willing to take responsibility
- You identify yourself with the idea of the Economy for the Common Good
- Fluent German is a must, fluent English too. Other languages welcome.
- Willing to work on Saturdays/weekends at least once every two months
- Ability to work from our office in Hamburg or remotely. Regular face-to-face meetings with your team are necessary.
- Flexible working hours with 30 days vacation pro rata
- Motivated team of purpose-driven people
- 25 hours per week
- For German nationals, we offer an employee’s contract. A freelance contract is also possible.
- Fair payment on the basis of the ECG salary model.
- Be part of our movement and an awesome team of staff and volunteers and help work for an economy designed to promote a better life for people and planet.
To apply for the position please send a CV and a supporting statement outlining your experience and suitability for the role and addressing each point listed under “Your profile” to email@example.com by 10 April 2023.
ECG welcomes applications from those who are under-represented in society.
Interviews will be held online.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.