Little Sun is dedicated to designing and delivering affordable clean energy solutions and inspiring people to take climate action. Founded by the contemporary artist Olafur Eliasson and engineer Frederik Ottesen, Little Sun “puts the power of the sun in your hands” through a suite of artfully-designed solar devices, livelihood programs and renewable energy and climate advocacy efforts. Little Sun products make light and safety possible for refugees, help students extend study hours in areas without electricity, and allow public health workers to charge their phones in remote locations, among others.
After ten years in operation, Little Sun has distributed over one million solar powered products globally and is a global leader in emotionally engaging communications on renewable energy. We are embarking on an ambitious new strategy which will take the organization deeper in select countries (especially, Senegal and Zambia) to support families and communities to move up the energy access ladder by using solar power for agriculture, small-scale enterprise and healthcare.
Little Sun complements our product distribution and field programs with communications campaigns to inspire action on renewable energy and climate change.
Little Sun seeks an individual to serve as Director of Communications and Partnershipswhose task it will be to advance the organization’s impact through inspirational storytelling and brand building, creative relationships, imaginative resource mobilization, and strategic outreach. The position is a great match for an energetic and entrepreneurial multi-tasker who wishes to apply their knowledge of communications, external relations, partnerships and resourcing to improve well-being for people and the planet. The position reports directly to the CEO and is based in Berlin or New York City.
Director of Director of Communications and Partnerships responsibilities are:
- To direct Little Sun’s overall communications and advocacy strategy, external positioning, resource mobilization and external relationships.
- To develop a visionary and clear communications and partnerships strategy for Little Sun.
- To execute and align Little Sun digital, social media, print media, public speaking and outreach strategy.
- To manage, adapt and develop the Little Sun brand, website and social media presence.
- To produce print and online collateral materials, including brochures, pitch decks, print publications, donor reports, etc.
- To co-produce an annual cycle of public events and donor engagement activities.
- In concert with the CEO and Director of Art and Philanthropy, to create a strategic plan to increase and diversify Little Sun’s resource base of individual, institutional and corporate donors.
- To build the Little Sun community, inspiring donors and constituents at all levels to feel that they are co-owners and co-creators of Little Sun, using a full range of tools and approaches, engaging donors at the mind, heart and spirit level.
- To serve as part of the senior leadership team responsible for overall organizational direction.
- To mentor and lead our highly motivated three persons communication team.
- At least 10 years communications, partnership building and resource mobilization experience, in a non-profit or social business.
- A Master’s degree in communications or a related field.
- Experience leading, managing and building high performing teams. Comfortable working in a team or operating independently as needed.
- Superb verbal and written communication skills and an aptitude for communicating with many different types of people.
- Able to thrive in a highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and creative environment.
- Passion for meeting the needs of remote communities and a familiarity with pro-poor, market-oriented solutions. Experience with or interest in learning about renewable energy.
- Able to inspire the organization’s values and highest ideals through word, deed, example and presence. Be as comfortable in a village in Africa as with a high-powered donor or corporate leader.
- Native English speaker required. German or French a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
What can Little Sun offer you?
- Opportunity to thrive in an entrepreneurial, evolving, and creative environment.
- A friendly team that is passionate about our shared vision.
- A varied workplace with lots of opportunities for personal development.
- An outcome-driven organization, focused on creating impact while maintaining a healthy focus on the well-being of our colleagues.
- Flexible office solutions, working hours, and digital work.
We believe in equal opportunities. We cherish diversity and try our best to build an inclusive team.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.