Since 2009 Liquid Democracy has worked to create the future of democracy. As an independent non-profit organization, we strive to discover new concepts and methods for digital citizen participation. Our recent projects include the central civic participation platform for the state of Berlin mein.berlin.de , the research project KOSMO about artificial intelligence and moderation kosmo-moderation.de/ and adhocracy+ adhocracy.plus , our most recent platform to make digital democracy easy for everyone.
More info on our projects can be found on our website at liqd.net/en/projects/. The code of our projects can be obtained via github.com/liqd.
Starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a Backend Developer to join our team.
As a Backend Developer you work closely along with the Scrum team, project managers and external stakeholders. You are part of the agile Scrum process, and you create and innovate Open Source software for e-participation processes.
Our current technology stack includes Django/Python, React.js, (S)CSS, Webpack, Git with Github.
The following tasks are among your responsibilities:
- Writing code (mainly backend) and further developing our software using our current stack, ability or willingness to also write some frontend code
- Taking part in Scrum meetings and project meetings with other team members and external stakeholders
- Estimating and concepting new features for our current software as well as advising the fundraising team about technical feasibility of new projects
- Coordinating the tasks in the Scrum Team
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You already have experience of 3 years in developing web applications and have considerable experience using the Django framework
- You have the ability to write well-designed, testable, efficient code
- You enjoy collaborating in teams and are interested in shaping self-management processes with others
- You are motivated to work on Open Source projects and, ideally, you want to contribute to making our code base better and more robust
- You are willing to take over a supportive leadership role within the dev team who has an overview of the structures, processes and tasks outside the sprint
- You are interested in actively shaping a democratic and self-organized culture within the whole team
- You feel comfortable to get in touch with our partners and clients
- Bonus: You have experience in or are motivated to learn about Linux server administration
- Bonus: Knowledge of German for communication with partners
WHAT WE OFFER
- Being part of shaping the technical infrastructure of one of the most experienced and renowned OS participation software
- Options to work in our office in Neukölln, from home and remote
- Limited contract for 2 years with the option for unlimited position afterwards
- 28–32 working hours per week, depending on your preferences
- 6 weeks of vacation per year
- Structured onboarding process with 2 mentors
- Contribute your vision to our software and Liquid Democracy in a motivated and appreciative team
- Family-friendly working environment with flexible working hours and home office regulations
- Monthly non-cash benefit usable for Urban Sports Club membership, sustainable shopping voucher, or a Deutschlandticket Job
- Salary depending on experience level and working hours between 3.200 € and 4.000 € per month (before taxes)
- Start date: As soon as possible
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK WITH US?
We work for society
At Liquid Democracy you work at a non-profit which wants to further social change and strives to find innovative answers to pressing political questions.
Democracy at work
We value democratic innovation not only in our projects but also in our internal processes. All team members decide on questions concerning the team together in our weekly plenary. We use our participation platform adhocracy+ to discuss and brainstorm together. As a team member you shape the internal democratic structure as well as our societal mission to enhance and innovate digital democracy.
We think a good work environment needs more than modern computers and flexible working hours (we have those as well). To have healthy and productive discussions, we use and experiment with ideas such as non-violent communication and systemic consensus finding.
ABOUT YOUR WORKPLACE
We have an open-plan office in Neukölln on the second floor. There is an elevator accessible via a ramp, an automatic door, and a non-automatic door. There are several all-gender restrooms that are not barrier-free. Meetings of the entire team take place online or hybrid. Individual groups freely decide whether to meet online, offline or hybrid. After the trial period, team members decide for themselves how much time they want to work from the office or home office, depending on their responsibilities. If it is not possible for you to work in the office, e.g. for accessibility reasons, feel free to contact us and we will find a solution.
We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, identities and perspectives. Therefore, we encourage you to apply regardless of your background, gender, sexual orientation, age group, physical or mental ability, or social background.
We share the view that organizations in the technology sector in particular need to become more diverse. We still have a long way to go as an organization, but we are actively working to identify and counteract discriminatory structures.
HOW TO APPLY
We look forward to your digital application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your earliest possible start date and a link to some previous projects on GitHub or elsewhere. Please also refrain from including a photo in your application. You also only need to send references or certificates on request.
You think a few aspects from the job posting don't fit you, but many others do? Then please apply anyway. Also, your motivation is more important to us than a complete resume. We are therefore particularly pleased to receive an informative cover letter. The deadline for applications is June 4th, 2023. Please note that we will start the interview process already during the application process.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.