ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S) is currently seeking a Research Coordinator to join the Research & Knowledge Team.
Citizen Engagement for Public Integrity (CEPI) in the Western Balkans and Turkey is a European Commission grant over three years, from January 2022 to December 2024. It aims at strengthening the rule of law by addressing public integrity deficiencies in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey. As part of generating the evidence base for anti-corruption policy making in the region, the project will conduct Transparency International’s National Integrity System (NIS) assessment in all target countries. NIS assess the strengths and weaknesses of key ‘pillars’ in a country’s governance system, combining evidence-based advocacy with a participatory multi-stakeholder approach. CEPI will be steered by a Regional Management Team at TI-S, composed of colleagues from Global Movement, Research and Knowledge, Global Policy and Advocacy, Communications, and Finance teams.
A full-time Research Coordinator is needed to lead and coordinate the implementation of NIS related research activities under the CEPI grant. Specifically, this will involve updating the NIS methodology, providing training and direct methodological support to the researchers and national chapters in all target countries, developing a tracking mechanism tool, providing editorial support and quality control of NIS reports, compiling and launching a regional report with comparative findings and producing research products and policy papers based on the findings.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Research Coordinator will lead and coordinate the implementation of NIS related research activities, including updating the methodology, training the researchers, providing research support and guidance to TI national chapters and quality control of NIS related project outputs
Team: Research & Knowledge
Reporting Line: Head of Research & Knowledge
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years.
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Band: salary according to TI-S internal salary structure; for this position corresponding to band PF2 a salary starting EUR 40,000.00 gross per year depending on relevant experience
Job ID: TIS-Res-CoordNIS-1121
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin/Germany
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Based in the Research & Knowledge Team and reporting to the Head of Research & Knowledge, the Research Coordinator will:
- Lead the development of knowledge materials, tools and research methodologies to meet the project objectives, including updating the NIS methodology, developing a tracking tool on key NIS recommendations, and designing regional online tool to present key NIS findings and tracking reports
- Design and convene dedicated skills training related to the national chapter activities listed above, as well as providing research support and guidance to national chapters and researchers
- Coordinate the implementation on NIS in all target countries, ensuring sound NIS data collection and analysis and providing quality control and editorial support for the compilation of national reports
- Compile a comparative regional report based on the findings of the national reports
- Oversee the production of policy papers by chapters, produce and disseminate policy briefs and papers based on NIS findings
- Provide technical advice and guidance for chapters interested in conducting NIS beyond the Western Balkan and Turkey and contribute to align the NIS approach to TI 2030 Strategy’s global advocacy goals
- Generate ideas, develop concept notes/proposals, and activities that are aligned with organisational priorities
- Contribute to day-to-day work implementation, including work planning, budget management, monitoring, and reporting, ensuring that all phases are consistent with the design and delivery schedule and internal processes and procedures
- Stay abreast of developments relating to the area of work and be available to respond to on-demand internal and external stakeholder needs
- Represent the organisation at relevant fora within area of expertise as needed; build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice and stakeholders
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the Research & Knowledge Team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- Masters or equivalent in a relevant field of the social sciences, such as political science, sociology, economics, public administration or a related field, with an academic emphasis on research
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in social research with a track record of developing tools and methodologies and producing operationally and policy relevant research
- Substantive experience in research coordination in a multi-country/international setting
- Experience in providing training, technical assistance and quality control on applied research projects, preferably in a multi-country/comparative context, with excellent attention to detail
- Strong knowledge and expertise in governance, accountability and anti-corruption;
- Regional expertise an advantage
- Demonstrated organisational and project management skills with strong organisational skills and the ability to successfully manage priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Solid writing, editing and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently, particularly at distance communication
- Professional language proficiency in written and spoken English, additional languages an asset
- Proven commitment to social justice issues and the values of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- an inspiring, stimulating, dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities and Getting Things Done (GTD) approach to work
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision- making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual team training allowances to onsite professional development opportunities, including regular Show & Tell meetings, Jours Fixes/Flexes and brown bag lunches with visiting experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- organisational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application and salary expectations) in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is January 23th, 2022.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.