Background on Perspectiva and Emerge:
Perspectiva is a community of expert generalists working on an urgent one hundred year project to improve the relationships between systems, souls and society in theory and practice. We are scholars, artists, activists, futurists and seekers who believe credible hope for the first truly planetary civilisation lies in forms of economic restraint and political cooperation that are beyond prevailing epistemic capacities and spiritual sensibilities. Our charitable purpose is therefore to develop an applied philosophy of education for individual and collective realisation in the service of averting societal collapse; and in the spirit of serious play and ambitious humility to cultivate the imaginative and emotional capacity required to usher in a world that is, at the very least, technologically wise and ecologically sound.
Perspectiva is a registered charity funded by philanthropic trusts and foundations and based primarily in London. We were co-founded in late 2016 by Swedish entrepreneur and theorist Tomas Bjorkman and Scottish philosopher and chess Grandmaster Jonathan Rowson. Since then we have focused on building our network, intellectual foundations and financial viability, and over the next few years we will be pursuing four main thematic strands of work:
- Realisation is transformative education, an annual festival & work on activism and attention
- Insight is our intellectual vision, manifest mostly in our publishing arm, Perspectiva Press
- Praxis is theory into practice, currently through improvisation, metaphor and ‘anti-debates’
- Emergence is about building a pre-figurative social movement for wise global transitions
Our work on Emergence is already well developed through the Emerge project. Perspectiva has established the outlines of a new strategy, but the new Director would be well placed to shape it on their own terms. Emerge is a practice-based social network coalescing around the webplatform www.whatismerging.com (including The Emerge podcast) and animated through international gatherings (including two completed in Berlin and Kyiv) and local networks in a growing number of major cities around the world. Emerge was founded by Perspectiva co-founder and Chairman Tomas Bjorkman in November 2018 without formal institutional standing but is now directed and supported as a project by the Perspectiva team, with day-to-day operations run by the social enterprise Cocreation.x gGmbH in Berlin.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate to fulfil a variety of crucial tasks for this project which are closely related to each other. The right person will be closely aligned with Perspectiva’s main ideas and charitable purposes but also inspired by the possibilities of Emerge and keen and capable to grow in autonomy over time. The capacity to raise funds from philanthropic sources and other means is essential, which is related to intellectual vision, social competence, entrepreneurial flair and project management skill. The job entails being a senior editor for a website, a leading force within an international network, and a primary fundraiser. There are no immediate line-management responsibilities, but there is a large network eager for Emerge to move to the next level of development and we have a range of associate writers and video producers available to help.
Salary: 45,000 - 65,000 Euros (gross) per annum. There is scope to increase the salary level in year two and beyond through successful fundraising.
The location is somewhat flexible. The Emerge project currently has a European focus and for strategic reasons our default preference is that the candidate would be located in Berlin if possible. However, finding the right person for this exacting role is of paramount importance, COVID-19 continues to alter our sense of what is possible and desirable, and we are also hoping to build our presence in other European cities and beyond, so applicants are warmly encouraged to apply regardless of their preferred geographic location.
Essential and Desirable Criteria:
- Writing or journalistic experience of international calibre (E)
- Relationship-building, network weaving and partnership building capacity (E)
- Proven fundraising success (E)
- Intellectual vision, creative flair and wide-ranging interests (E)
- Discerning understanding of network relationships (E)
- Grasp of how to attract audiences in a way that is optimally challenging (E)
- Evidence of entrepreneurial initiative (E)
- Capacity to work autonomously and in a team (E)
- Interpersonal skill in a variety of settings (E)
- Educated to equivalent of Masters degree or above, ideally across disciplines (D)
- At least ten years of professional experience (D)
- Willing to live in a major European city, ideally Berlin (D)
- Willing to travel to build networks in other major cities (D)
Website details: Systems-souls-society.com (currently being updated) and Whatisemerging.com
Deadline: Any time on or before October 16 2020. Please respond with a CV and cover letter, stating how you feel you meet the role requirements to Perspectivateam@gmail.com. We anticipate conducting interviews online after mid-October and would like the prospective candidate to start in 2020 if possible.
For more details about the job click here: http://www.whatisemerging.com/updates/wanted-director-of-emergence-8c6b3...
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.