At EIDU, we create a learning app for young children in low-income areas where it’s hard to get the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our vision is to improve education for these children by building the next-generation global ed-tech platform.
We believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full intellectual potential. However, more than 600 million children in the world do not even learn foundational skills like reading and basic math, despite the majority of them going to school. Our Android-based solution enables them to learn by themselves and provides teachers with high-quality teaching support. It works globally, even on the cheapest smartphones and tablets.
We began developing EIDU in the toughest conditions we could find: with more than 5,000 children in the largest urban informal settlements in Africa, located in Nairobi, Kenya, and we are on our way to scale to many different places in the world – currently, to Ivory Coast and Nigeria. We use our vast and rich set of usage data to make data-driven decisions on every level of our organization.
What we offer
- An international and passionate team located in Berlin, Nairobi, and Lagos, who support and challenge each other to achieve the great goal we set out for.
- An all-senior engineering team with whom you will build high-quality software by applying DevOps and striving for great software craftsmanship. Current tech stack:
- App: Kotlin, Android
- Backend: Kotlin, serverless, AWS, Terraform, FaunaDB, Redshift
- Web: Vue.js
- Unique technical challenges given the environment that we operate in: low-cost devices, limited connectivity, non-tech-savvy users, massive scale.
- A modern company culture that emphasizes transparency and autonomy. We care about results, not time spent at the office, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours, vacations, and the place you choose to work (including fully remote within a 3-hour flight radius).
- Agile and data-driven decision-making on all levels of the organization.
- Quarterly one-week hackathons where we freely explore new ideas.
- Exciting field trips to visit our users in Africa (currently in Kenya, Nigeria, and Ghana).
- A competitive salary and a (seriously) unparalleled equity scheme.
- Social impact like no one else: we are working to fix one of the world’s biggest problems.
What you should bring
- The desire to use your skills to bring about positive social change.
- A minimum of five years of experience in writing code and designing system architectures.
- A proven record of developing production-grade software in a team.
- A passion for writing clean, maintainable, functional, and testable code.
- Full-stack experience is a plus.
- Experience with our tech stack is not required; we care about your advanced software engineering skills rather than what technologies you have used!
Show some love and please mention tbd* in your application.